Avery County Airport
- Shuttle Service/Transportation
- Non-Profit Organizations
Please refer to safety notice on www.ryanairplanecompany.com to navigate the high country.
The Avery County Airport (ACA) was started as a small grass landing field in the 1950's by local businessmen on land donated by the Morrison family. The FAA agreed to fund the airport and made it a public use Airport. Until the late 1980's the ACA was maintained by Brad Ragan Inc. and the Feldspar Corporation. In the 1990's the state legislature formed the Avery County Airport Authority (ACAA) and the Authority has developed the airport over the last twenty years through the use of grants in the Airport Improvement Program (AIP). The ACA has a Fixed Base Operator (FBO) and is used by private and corporate pilots, the military, Jungle Aviation and Radio Communications, medical flights, emergency response, fire fighters, NC Highway Patrol and other law enforcement agencies and disaster response teams.
Currently there is the County owned hangar complex of 4 hangars and 24 privately owned hangars. All hangars are built on ACA property. The private hangars are on lots leased to them and contracted to return the hangar to the ACA after a set number of years. There are currently spaces for 2 more hangars and room for more taxiways and hanger lots
The courtesy car. Please call at least 24 hours in advance to make sure it is available. For the comfort of other customers, no pet